The History of Active 20-30 US & Canada
Realizing the Need!!
Active 20-30 International had its beginnings in 1922 when young men in two widely separated communities of the United States saw the need for a service club for young men. They found that established service clubs were dominated by older men, run by older men, and whose officers were invariably much older men.
This realization led those groups of ambitious young men to stray away from existing groups and organized a club of their own. These clubs shared the ideal that young men would have a chance to engage actively in service to their communities; where young ideas, backed by enthusiasm and the energy of youth, could share in civic responsibilities on an equal basis with clubs composed of older men.
These pioneers of young men’s service clubs simultaneously created two virtually identical clubs: the Active International, located in Aberdeen, Washington, and 20-30 International formed in Sacramento, California.
Both the International and Active International Associations were charter members of the World Council of Young Men’s Service Clubs (WOCO). John Armenia, Joe Crowe and Arnie Scheldt of Active and Dr. James Vernetti, Henry Heyl and Ray Fletcher of 20-30 were among those who fostered the World Council movement up to its formal beginning in 1945 (See WOCO information).
Merging Ideas and Resources
In 1959, President Norm Morrison of 20-30 and President Ken Helling of Active, exchanged a letter renewing the long standing proposal that these two identical young men’s service clubs should merge.
Between 1959 and 1960, meetings were held between the two groups, culminating in the proposed Constitution and Resolution to be presented to the 1960 Conventions of each organization. In addition to Morrison and Helling, Jack Kummert, Doug Martin and Clint McClure of 20-30, and Victory W. “Bill” Smith, Owen Barnes and Jim Robertson of Active participated in the early negotiations.
In 1960, the 20-30 International Convention was held in Santa Cruz, California. The delegates unanimously adopted the merger proposal and the Constitution. One month later, the delegates at the Active International Convention in Calgary, Alberta, also unanimously adopted the propositions. Therefore, on August 1, 1960, Active International and 20-30 International became the Active 20-30 International.
While the mechanics of the merger were being formulated, each organization maintained its separate administrative structure, officers and National Office through its convention year. In October 1960, the first combined magazine, Active 20-30 made its appearance. The first convention of Active 20-30 International was held in Tucson, Arizona, July 10-14, 1961, where the Constitution and bylaws were officially adopted.
The major International Projects selected for the new organization were Keys in the Car, Aid to Scouting, Public Speaking and Rheumatic Fever. During the 1975 Convention in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, the new International Charity Foundation was adopted to replace Rheumatic Fever.
The Creation of the Active 20-30 United States & Canada
In 1981, a proposal was put forth to the membership to allow for National Associations in Active 20-30 International. In 1982, the Active 20-30 United States and Canada, Inc., was formed with its National office in the building owned by Active 20-30 US & Canada on 1915 I Street, Sacramento, California. Arnie Krogh of Sacramento served as its first National President.
In the late 1980s women officially became members of Active 20-30 US & Canada. 1988 was the year that the women in the Orange County (CA) Auxiliary petitioned the National Organization to become the first women's club in the Active 20-30 organization. This request was approved and from that day forward women were officially full-fledged members of Active 20-30 United States & Canada. They were followed by Southern Arizona #1027 / Valley of the Sun #1028 / Redwood Empire #1029 / Gold Country #1030 / Sacramento Evening #1031 (co-ed) / Greater Sacramento #1032 and Gold Rush #1034.
Currently, McDonald Association Management Company, Inc. based in Sacramento, California serves Active 20-30 United States & Canada as the National Office.
The History of the World Council of Service Clubs (WOCO)
The World Council of Service Clubs (WOCO) is a federation of young men and women who are members of service clubs encompassing the globe with ideals of fellowship and service to others.
These same ideals, born out of man’s need for friendship and understanding, have spread, been accepted and acclaimed in six continents by young men and women from business and professional backgrounds, representing many vocations and the widest range of religious and political beliefs, regardless of color and creed.
WOCO has strength of young men and women each with intent on attaining a high level of citizenship individually. Active participation in club life by individual members ceases at age 40, thus ensuring an energetic and youthful membership, a constant renewal of ideas and an opportunity for many to take office and responsibility.
• To organize and maintain the following objects through the medium of the member Associations:
• Develop the fellowship of young men and women through the medium of business and professional occupations and
• To encourage active and responsible citizenship by cultivating the highest ideals in business, professional and civic
• To promote and further international understanding, friendship and cooperation;
• To promote the extension of the Association throughout the world;
• To coordinate and inspire member Associations in their individual activities.
Associations of young men were formed in the 1920’s in Australia, Canada, Great Britain and the United States. These associations were formed independent from each other. These clubs were:
Apex Clubs of Australia; Kinsmen Clubs of Canada; Round Tables of Great Britain and Ireland; Active International of the US and Canada; and 20-30 International of the US and Canada
Although little was known of each other’s activities, the Associations were all formed with an upper age limit, a common bond, and aimed to fulfill a similar need. They were all formed with a desire for young men to foster friendship and the ideal of service and good citizenship. The Associations established themselves firmly in their own countries and many of them began to extend throughout Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and Central America.
Over the years, these Associations came to realize the similarity of their viewpoint and ideals. They decided that some sort of closer liaison should be arranged between themselves.
On April 8, 1945, the World Council of Young Men’s Service Clubs (WOCO) was formed at a meeting in Chicago, Illinois in the United States. This was agreed upon by representatives of Kin, 20-30 International, Active International, Apex and the National Association of Round Tables of Great Britain and Ireland. The five Associations subsequently ratified the Chicago Resolutions and constituted the Founder Members. The second World Council meeting took place in October 1946 in Sacramento, California in the United States. This is where the original constitution was adopted. It was not until the third meeting in 1947 in Montreal, Canada, that all Founder Members were represented.
Each Association was represented by two delegates appointed to World Council. Meetings were held annually until 1950, and thereafter, every two years. The realization that World Council’s structure would have to be revised when it was realized that little could be achieved by so few delegates meeting so infrequently and Associations were rapidly expanding.
In 1956, the Round Tables of Great Britain and Ireland surrendered its place on the World Council to Round Tables International. In the same year in Jasper, Canada, discussions commenced on ways and means of altering the framework of World Council. The delegates at the Malmo Conference in 1959 reached complete agreement on a revised constitution, which was adopted in Brighton, England, in 1960.
After two years of discussion, the organizational structure of the Board of Directors was changed at Hong Kong in 1975, and at the same time qualification for membership was changed to allow small Associations a speedier entry as full voting members.